Friday, May 27, 2011

Applique Class

On Monday, the guild had teacher Elly Sienkiewicz for a class and lecture. I took the class on a Baltimore Album style applique block; "Victorian Vase of Flowers." I enjoyed her friendly personality, and the lecture was very informative on the history and symbolism of the original Baltimore Album quilters. I had taken a class from her when she came to our guild about 10 years ago; on making flowers for album blocks (ruched, etc.) I even found them in my sewing room the other day, still in the little plastic bag that I brought home from that class.
I've been working on finishing the block started in Monday's class; am determined not to have another UFO.  I got the stem, vase, a leaf and a bud needleturned; and am finishing the applique by fusing and machine blanket stitch. (The pins are holding stabilizer onto the back.)  Am using Shades Soft Fuse that I bought from Elly. I'll probably frame it or make a pillow (with apologies to "Aunt Atha").

No comments:

Post a Comment